Aquascaping Tips - How to add depth and direction using Dragonstone
Here's some quick tips and video on how to aquascape with our molded Dragonstone.
- Use the largest piece of Dragonstone as a focal point and place it off center (use the Rule of 3rds and place it 1/3 or 2/3 from either side.) The larger stone will become the first visual focus and glide the viewers eyes towards the rest of the aquascape - creating a more captivating and relaxing experience.
- Angling the stones and branches will give a sense of direction. To keep the viewer centered, angle the stones from the center out. You can also angle the stones in one direction to lead them into a certain direction (such as in or out off a room).
- Use lots of short and colorful foreground plants. This will create a striking contrast in both color and size.
- Leaning stones towards the front of the aquascape will cast shadows over the foreground. This adds a sense of depth and will make the aquarium appear larger and deeper than it really is.
- Tuck foreground plants under the edges of the Dragonstone and add some smaller size accent stones. This will blend all of the elements in your aquascape together and create a more natural, aged look.